Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Workaholic Anonymous

Happy Cinco de Mayo! (Did you know that yesterday was May the Fourth Be With You Day? Love it.)

I was really happy today, because it was the last day of our 3-d projects, and the kids were completely absorbed in the spatial visualization puzzles (this time without the aid of computers)! For stretches of a few minutes at a time, my classroom was silent with the sound of careful thought. Afterwards, I asked a handful of the kids whether they had liked the project, and they replied unanimously that it was great!

...It's super cool when things work out the way you envision. I really love teaching so much. :)

The weekend ahead, however, promises to bring a lot of work. (Bleh.) On top of the massive amounts of end-of-the-year grading and the usual weekly planning, I'll also have to pull together at least preliminary study guides for the final. (I am feeling parental pressure to get those posted very soon, so that kids can start studying early to make sure they pass the class.) I think parents conveniently forget that during these last weeks of instruction, as their kids check out and begin looking forward to the final, we are still grading and planning as normal. We don't get a break to pull together those study guides, especially not when kids are anxious to see the latest updates of their Q4 grades!!

Good thing Geoff has essentially guaranteed me that he wishes to do 16 hours of work this weekend ("8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday"). We'll be workaholic buddies.

----------------

Incidentally, I finally finished reading a beautiful book yesterday. I had checked it out from the library 3 weeks ago, but school had kept me extremely busy, so it was put on the backburner. But, towards the end of the book, I was so anxious to find out what would happen to all the characters, that I was stealing reading time during all hours of the day! It is called Fall On Your Knees, written by Ann-Marie MacDonald, and is the most heart-rending book about the most extraordinary family. I highly recommend it!

I picked up another book, but I'm feeling pretty silly about it all. I have been pretty good about reading a book every 2 to 3 weeks since Christmas, but it seems pretty unrealistic that -- with everything going on -- I am going to have time to read between now and finals week.

----------------

Anyway, to give you a perspective of how fast the centrifuge is going, there are only 4 weeks of school left -- INCLUDING FINALS!! If that's not crazy, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment