Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fractal -- Hunting the Hidden Dimension

If you are a Geometry teacher, I highly recommend getting a copy of PBS's production of Fractal -- Hunting the Hidden Dimension. It ties fractals into just about everything -- medicine, computer graphics in movies, fashion, antennae design for cell phones, maps, biology -- and is really well-done (with personal interviews and stories about the origins of the Mandelbrot set). I don't usually like to show an entire feature, but I was actually hard-pressed while test-viewing this to think of which parts I would choose to skip in class. For how much information was in the film, it was well-paced and had good visuals to keep kids' interest and to keep everything very understandable.

How lovely! Now I can't wait to teach fractals. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment